Monday, February 7, 2011

Object of this Life

I read that Alexander Solzhenitsyn spent eight years in prison for making a few disparaging remarks about Joseph Stalin. He went into prison an atheist and came out a Christian. After he was released he said: "I bless you prison---I bless you for being in my life---for there lying on rotting prison straw, I learned the object of life is not prosperity as I had grown up believing, but the maturing of the soul."

If Solzhenitsyn is right and the object of life is the transformation of our character through knowing and glorifying God and is not for comfort, pleasure and prosperity are Christians out of line praying to avoid the transformation?

It seems if Solzhenitsyn is correct Christians would look forward to trials and persecutions.

 

No comments: