Friday, April 25, 2014

KJV Words Not in Other Versions

I have heard sermons on the word individual words in the KJV which is not found in other versions so I looked at this email skeptically.

 

Recently I received an email on the meaning of the “folded napkin” in Jesus’ tomb. I’ve heard sermons on the same topic. It appears to from a sermon Jerry Shirley, a Baptist preacher, preached in 2006. Shirley presumed the Hebrew folks had a tradition regarding the folded napkin. Is it true? He provides no credits. I have been unable to find any information about Hebrew tradition that every Jewish knew concerning folding a napkin.

 

The King James Version:  "...and the napkin that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself."

KJV, AS, and RSV translate the cloth as a "napkin;" NIV a "burial cloth;" NKJV a "handkerchief;" and NASB, ESV a "face-cloth."   I understand the Greek word comes from a Latin word for "sweat."  An example might be a towel for wiping sweat and could be Greek for a towel or cloth, not specifically a table napkin.

NIV and NKJV translates the word "folded;" NASB, SAV, RSV "rolled up;" KJV "wrapped together." Again I understand the Greek word is from words that may mean to twist or to entwine.


No comments: