Saturday, August 1, 2009

Thankful or Empty Words

Have you ever wondered where the tradition of "saying grace" or "blessing the food" came from and why we are not equally as diligent when it comes to other "necessities"? Why are we so thankful when it comes to food? Must it be a group activity? Can we be thankful individually even though we are in a group? If we don't know why we do something does that make it an empty gesture? What does "bless the food" mean and what is "saying grace?"

 

I realize we do not bless food but we say we do. If Grace is prayer or thankfulness then what does saved by Grace mean? When I ask the definition I get an acronym not a definition. Habits become tradition and traditions become law...

 

I am appreciative when I walk into the grocery store, when I see a child eating while riding in a car, a poor person eating at a fast food restaurant. It is great that we can eat anytime we want while probably a majority of the rest of the world are not sure where their next meal will come from. As with most of our public prayers are thanks before a meal is a habit.

No comments: